This example relates to the project at my home. See here for the step by step guide which gives you the complete end to end approach to ECO renovation.
PROJECT: Green Home Diary
To reduce the energy consumption and CO2 footprint by up to 80%. Why ? Because resources such as oil and gas are dwindling; CO2 is slowing killing life on the planet; we want the next generation to have a chance of surviving; and this will help save us money.
WHAT’S GOING TO BE DELIVERED:
- An very well insulated extension to increase the living space.
- Conversion of the garage to a utility / bike rooms.
- Insulation across the rest of the house.
- Some form of heating.
- Some form of savings on electricity.
Phase 1 – the ground floor and extension.
Phase 2 – Insulate rest of the house.
Phase 3 – Solar hot water panel.
Phase 4 – Photovoltaic panels
Phase 5 – Rain water harvesting.
ASSUMPTIONS / CONSTRAINTS / RISKS
- Kitchen must not be disrupted.
- First floor rooms must not be disrupted.
- Rob will be available to do a majority of the work himself.
- Risk: Rob may not know how to do some of the work.
- Risk: Overspend.
- Must ensure that certain infrastructure is in place to minimised disruption at the later stages.
BUDGET / RESOURCES
- £60K for phase 1;
- Use own labour to reduce costs.
- Use Buildstore to get discounts on materials
- Cover experience risk by employing one man builder with expertise and flexibility.
- Produce a feasibility study.
- Get an architect / consultant who has ECO experience.
Rob & Sue will personally inspect the work and manage the level of quality.
For suppliers, to be done verbally and confirmed via e-mail.